Ven. M. Felicita Baseggio OSA

Anna Clara Giovanna Baseggio was born in Ferrara on 5 May 1752. From an early age she showed a strong artistic inclination, leading her parents to imagine a promising future. At the age of 12, she was entrusted to her paternal uncle to learn better the art of wood gilding but her encounter with God led her to desire a different path, oriented towards religious life.

There in Ferrara, in fact, Dom Mario Scudellari, the Olivetan abbot of Santa Francesca Romana, began to instruct her in the doctrine of the faith, preparing her to receive her first communion and it was precisely in this sacramental communication that was the place for this encounter: “I knew my God”, she told her Olivetan spiritual father after receiving the Body of Christ. The family, however, did not welcome this “distraction” from her artistic practice and began to hinder her by even removing her from her spiritual guide with transfers to different cities: Venice, Padua, Siena and Senigallia. The young woman endured with resignation every adverse measure, every mistreatment of her dear ones, every suffering inflicted on her growing vocation thanks to love for the Father, to whom she ardently desired to consecrate herself.

In 1776, at the age of eighteen, the Servant of God returned definitively to Rovigo, with her parents, not at all persuaded to move away from the journey of faith that she had undertaken; on the contrary, she returned even more determined in wanting to continue it, supported by the spiritual direction of Don Annibale Coltro and, shortly after, of Msgr. Giovanni Battista Lachini. To the choice of religious life, now evident although not manifested, her family reacted by exacerbating their hatred towards her with continuous mortifications and pains, even forcing her to pray in secret.

Her joy, her every energy was reserved for love for the Lord, ever increasing, as was the assimilation of the teaching and experience of the Cross. There was no lack of spiritual struggles, faced with prayer, in the awareness that everything happened by God’s permission. In the year 1782, after having overcome numerous obstacles and temptations, the intention to become a nun became irrepressible and so she clearly manifested it to the family, supported in the enterprise by Msgr. Lachini. The reaction was, as expected, full of hostility, especially on the part of his brother Sante, but the Servant of God did not lose faith and hope, turning with charity, especially towards him, despite his contrary attitude.

Finally, as had been anticipated in a heavenly vision, in the first days of October of the year 1783 she left the house to enter the much-desired cloister of the convent of the Tertiaries of San Francis of Rovigo, choosing for herself, as she did in spirit, a religious life of “penance” and “suffering”, wanting to find and follow the narrow path that “leads to life”. In this convent, on November 8 of the following year, as a novice, she received the habit and took the name of Sister Maria Felicita Fortunata, and then made her religious profession on November 9, 1785. She immediately showed great dedication, humility, and obedience to the commands of the superior and of the confessor, showing herself exemplary, while remaining humble, in the formative path and spiritual growth. Her own teacher, Sister Rosa De Paoli, testifies in writing that she was so impressed by the edifying example of this young woman that she even considered herself unworthy in the presence of her. Nonetheless, the Servant of God attracted the envy and gossip of the other nuns towards her, also stimulated by the malicious curiosity about the numerous extraordinary phenomena related to her person and witnessed by some of the sisters closest to her. This was an adverse attitude, that was held toward her in the monastery and which would accompany her throughout her stay there, and even more so in her role of superior, as a victim of spurious accusations which later proved completely unfounded.

To all this she reacted with resignation to the will of God, in prayer addressed to the cross, in the devoted entrusting to the Virgin Mary and in the joy received from the heavenly visits of the Child Jesus, the “Picanano” or “Bambolo” as she used to call him until the end of her earthly life.

Later, as was predicted by the Servant of God in a prophetic ecstasy, Europe came to be impacted by Napoleon and the consequences are well known; among these, the one that is most interesting here is the first suppression of convents and monasteries decreed on June 8, 1805, which also involved the monastery of the Tertiaries of San Francesco. In this regard, it is important to highlight that Sister Maria Felicita had no fear of the impending upheavals; in fact, her tranquility found its source in the trust and knowledge of God’s love for his children. Felicita Baseggio, together with other nuns, were welcomed among the hermit nuns of Saint Augustine, in the convent of the Holy Trinity of Rovigo where she embraced and professed religious life according to the principles of the Augustinian Rule: it was 13 December 1805.

Already on 13 March in 1806, under the permission of the Vicar Chapter of Adria, she took the habit and on July 28 of this same year she made her solemn vows. Also, in this new conventual reality, characterized by an austere lifestyle, due to the rigor of the enclosure and the rigid impositions, Felicita Baseggio, obedient to the will of God and of the superiors, was the victim of numerous oppressions by some sisters, for whom, despite everything, she never stopped praying, without rancor and remaining projected towards love of neighbor, trying to build everywhere a spirit of communion according to the spirit of Augustine.

Certainly, as witnessed, there was no lack of extraordinary and prodigious events relating to the Venerable also within the walls of this convent. In the meantime, the French Empire continued its expansion, imposing its determination with greater force, including the total suppression of all religious congregations, decreed on 25 April 1810.

The convent of the Holy Trinity of Rovigo, therefore, was definitively suppressed and the religious were forced to leave the cloister. Felicita Baseggio moved to live, at first, in the house of her brother Sante and later in a rented house. Although in the world, her life continued according to the dictates of religious life, as we read in the eulogy in her honor: “She changes her home, she does not change feelings or affections: dead to herself and to the world, in her room she equally finds retreat from the world, the solitude of the heart, and God”. She, therefore, continued to live withdrawn in the house in prayer (except to go out to the nearby church for spiritual nourishment) which was visited by a few people, mainly priests. In the world she continued to live as if she were still in the Augustinian monastery, with a life marked by prayer, work, establishing a community spirit with the people who sought her to obtain from her direction, a consoling word, a light of hope in difficult times.

Her house was called, by those who had the privilege of frequenting it, “house of bliss”, precisely to underline the uplifting effect of her experience of faith and her testimony of charity. Furthermore, numerous were the recourses of the faithful, supporting her for her intercession with the Father or grateful for the graces received from her; a circumstance that greatly disturbed her soul, considering herself unworthy of so much grace granted by God. In the last years of her life, in need of care, she moved to the house of a nephew, where she died in the odor of sanctity on the 11th. February 1829.

Despite the hostility of the family, the first and not easy obstacle to overcome along the vocational journey, the Venerable did not lose hope, finding solace in the prayer addressed to the Crucifix, enduring the denigrations inflicted with resignation, humility, and obedience, never refusing the humblest work and the fatigue in serving promptly, always showing charity. To suffer for the love of God and to share the weight of his sufferings was her desire, so much so that she received the mystical gift of the cross-shaped stigmata on her chest, manifested several times in the course of her life.

Sister Maria Felicita embraced Christ crucified, gathering from his heart the strength to accept all suffering, to forgive the evil received, to transform pain into a gift, to love according to the logic of the Gospel. The whole life of the Servant of God was lived under the banner of love for the Cross and her existence was definitely a positive response to God’s call to holiness. The virtues of venerable Maria Felicita Fortunata Baseggio O.S.A. were declared heroic by the Church on February 20, 2021.

Postulatio Generalis Ordinis Sancti Augustini


Anna Clara Giovanna Baseggio nacque a Ferrara il 5 maggio dell’anno 1752. Fin da piccola mostrò una spiccata propensione artistica, lasciando immaginare ai suoi genitori un promettente avvenire. A 12 anni fu affidata allo zio paterno per meglio apprendere l’arte dell’indoratura del legno ma l’incontro con Dio la portò a desiderare un cammino diverso, orientato verso la vita religiosa. Qui a Ferrara, infatti, don Mario Scudellari, abate olivetano di Santa Francesca Romana, cominciò ad istruirla nella dottrina della fede, preparandola a ricevere la prima comunione e proprio la comunicazione sacramentale fu il luogo di questo incontro: “ho conosciuto il mio Dio”, disse al padre olivetano dopo aver ricevuto il Corpo di Cristo. La famiglia, tuttavia, non accolse con favore questa “distrazione” dalla pratica artistica e cominciò ad ostacolarla anche allontanandola dalla guida spirituale con trasferimenti in diverse città: Venezia, Padova, Siena e Senigallia. La giovane subì con rassegnazione ogni provvedimento avverso, ogni maltrattamento dei suoi cari, ogni sofferenza inflitta alla sua crescente vocazione grazie all’amore per il Padre, al quale desiderava ardentemente consacrarsi.

Nel 1776, all’età di diciotto anni, la Serva di Dio rientrò definitivamente a Rovigo, presso i genitori, per nulla persuasa ad allontanarsi dall’intrapreso cammino di fede; anzi, tornò ancor più determinata nel volerlo proseguire, sostenuta dalla direzione spirituale di don Annibale Coltro e, poco dopo, di mons. Giovanni Battista Lachini. Alla scelta di vita religiosa, ormai evidente seppur non manifestata, la famiglia reagì inasprendo l’astio nei suoi confronti con continue mortificazioni e pene, costringendola perfino a pregare di nascosto. Nonostante quest’avversione, primo e non facile ostacolo da superare lungo il cammino vocazionale, Anna non perse la speranza, affidandosi in completo abbandono alla volontà di Dio, trovando sollievo nella preghiera rivolta al Crocifisso, sopportando con rassegnazione, umiltà ed obbedienza le denigrazioni inflitte, non rifiutando i lavori più umili e la fatica nel servire prontamente, mostrando sempre carità. La sua gioia, ogni sua energia fu riservata all’amore verso il Signore, sempre crescente, come fu l’assimilazione dell’insegnamento e dell’esperienza della Croce. Patire per l’amore di Dio e condividere il peso delle sofferenze fu il suo desiderio, tanto da ricevere il dono mistico delle stimmate a forma di croce nel petto, manifestatesi più volte nel corso della sua vita. Non mancarono le lotte spirituali, affrontate con la preghiera, nella consapevolezza che tutto accadeva per permissione di Dio. Giunto l’anno 1782, dopo aver superato numerosi ostacoli e tentazioni, l’intenzione di farsi monaca si rese incontenibile e così la manifestò chiaramente alla famiglia, sostenuta nell’impresa da mons. Lachini.

La reazione fu, come prevedibile, carica di ostilità, soprattutto da parte del fratello Sante; ma la Serva di Dio non perse la fede e la speranza, rivolgendosi con carità, specialmente verso di lui, nonostante l’atteggiamento contrario. Finalmente, come le era stato anticipato in una visione celeste, nei primi giorni di ottobre dell’anno 1783 lasciò la casa per entrare nel tanto desiderato chiostro del convento delle Terziarie di San Francesco di Rovigo, scegliendo per sé, così come fece in spirito, una vita religiosa di “penitenze” e “patimento”, volendo trovare e seguire la via angusta che “mena alla vita”. In questo convento, l’8 novembre dell’anno successivo, come novizia, indossò l’abito e assunse il nome di suor Maria Felicita Fortunata, per poi emettere la professione religiosa il 9 novembre 1785. Da subito mostrò grande dedizione, umiltà e obbedienza ai comandi della superiora e del confessore, mostrandosi esemplare, pur rimanendo umile, nel percorso formativo e di crescita spirituale. La sua stessa maestra, suor Rosa De Paoli, testimonia per iscritto che rimase talmente colpita dall’edificante esempio dellA giovane da ritenersi, persino, indegna al suo cospetto. Ciò nonostante, la Serva di Dio attirò verso di sé l’invidia e le malelingue delle altre religiose, stimolate anche dalla maliziosa curiosità riguardo ai numerosi fenomeni straordinari riferiti alla sua persona e testimoniati da alcune consorelle a lei più vicine. Un atteggiamento avverso, quello riservatole in monastero, che l’accompagnerà per tutta la permanenza in questo luogo, ancor più nel ruolo di superiora, vittima di accuse pretestuose dimostratesi poi del tutto infondate.

A tutto ciò reagì nella rassegnazione al volere di Dio, nella preghiera rivolta alla croce, nell’affidamento devoto alla Vergine Maria e nella gioia ricevuta dalle visite celesti di Gesù Bambino, il “Picanano” o “Bambolo” come era solita chiamarlo, cominciate in occasione della vestizione e manifestatesi fino alla fine della sua vita terrena. In seguito, come previsto dalla Serva di Dio in un’estasi profetica, l’Europa giunse all’impatto con Napoleone e le conseguenze sono ben note; tra queste, quella che qui più interessa è la prima soppressione dei conventi e monasteri decretata l’8 giugno 1805, che coinvolse anche il monastero delle Terziarie di San Francesco. A riguardo, è di rilievo evidenziare che suor Maria Felicita non ebbe nessun timore per gli imminenti sconvolgimenti; infatti, la sua tranquillità trovò fonte nella fiducia e nella contezza dell’amore di Dio per i suoi figli. Felicita Baseggio, insieme ad altre religiose, fu accolta tra le monache eremitane di Sant’Agostino, nel convento della Santissima Trinità di Rovigo dove abbracciò e professò la vita religiosa secondo i principi della Regola Agostiniana: era il 13 dicembre 1805. Già il 13 marzo del 1806, dietro licenza del Vicario Capitolare di Adria, fece la vestizione ed il 28 luglio di questo stesso anno emise i voti.

Anche in questa nuova realtà conventuale, caratterizzata da uno stile di vita austero, per il rigore della clausura e le rigide imposizioni, la Baseggio, obbediente al volere di Dio e dei superiori, fu vittima di numerose angherie da parte di alcune consorelle, per le quali, nonostante tutto, non smise mai di pregare, senza rancore e rimanendo proiettata verso l’amore per il prossimo, cercando di costruire ovunque uno spirito di comunione secondo lo spirito di Agostino. Certamente, come testimoniato, non mancarono fatti straordinari e prodigiosi riferiti alla Venerabile anche tra le mura di questo convento. Nel frattempo, l’Impero francese continuava la sua espansione, imponendo con più forza ogni sua determinazione, tra cui la totale soppressione di tutte le congregazioni religiose, decretata in data 25 aprile 1810. Il convento della Santissima Trinità di Rovigo, dunque, fu definitivamente soppresso e le religiose costrette all’esclaustrazione. La Baseggio passò ad abitare, in un primo momento, in casa del fratello Sante e successivamente in una casa presa a pigione. Seppur nel mondo, la sua vita proseguì secondo i dettami di quella religiosa, come si legge nell’elogio in suo onore: «Cangia domicilio, non cangia sentimenti, né affetti: morta a sé e al mondo, nella sua stanza trova egualmente ritiro dal secolo, la solitudine del cuore, Iddio». Ella, dunque, continuò a vivere ritirata in casa nella preghiera, salvo per raggiungere la vicina chiesa per il nutrimento spirituale, visitata da poche persone, prevalentemente sacerdoti. Nel mondo continuò a vivere come fosse ancora nel monastero agostiniano, con una vita scandita da preghiera, lavoro, instaurando uno spirito comunitario con le persone che la cercavano per ottenere da lei una direzione, una parola consolatrice, un lume di speranza in tempi difficili. La sua casa è stata denominata, da chi ha avuto il privilegio di frequentarla, “casa di beatitudine”, proprio a voler sottolineare l’effetto edificante scaturito della sua esperienza di fede e testimonianza di carità. Inoltre, numeroso fu il ricorso dei fedeli supplicanti la sua intercessione presso il Padre o riconoscenti per le grazie ricevute; circostanza che le creò non poco turbamento dell’animo, ritenendosi indegna di tanta grazia concessa da Dio.

Negli ultimi anni della sua vita, bisognosa di cure, si trasferì presso la casa di un nipote, dove morì in odore di santità l’11 febbraio 1829. Nonostante l’ostilità della famiglia, primo e non facile ostacolo da superare lungo il cammino vocazionale, la Venerabile non perse la speranza, trovando sollievo nella preghiera rivolta al Crocifisso, sopportando con rassegnazione, umiltà ed obbedienza le denigrazioni inflitte, non rifiutando i lavori più umili e la fatica nel servire prontamente, mostrando sempre carità. Patire per l’amore di Dio e condividere il peso delle sofferenze fu il suo desiderio, tanto da ricevere il dono mistico delle stimmate a forma di croce nel petto, manifestatesi più volte nel corso della sua vita. Suor Maria Felicita abbracciò Cristo crocifisso, cogliendo dal Suo cuore la forza di accettare ogni sofferenza, di perdonare il male ricevuto, di trasformare il dolore in dono, di amare secondo la logica del Vangelo.

Tutta la vita della Serva di Dio è stata vissuta all’insegna dell’amore verso la Croce e la sua esistenza, è stata una risposta positiva alla chiamata di Dio alla santità.
Le virtù di Maria Felicita Fortunata Baseggio O.S.A. sono state dichiarate come eroiche dalla Chiesa il 20 febbraio 2021.

Postulatio Generalis Ordinis Sancti Augustini

© 2024 All Rights Reserved.